Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Level Vodka

Level is an "ultra premium" vodka, distilled (if I recall correctly) from amber winter wheat. I attempted to check their website to make sure of that only to find that they had completely changed it. That was unfortunate as the old site was very nice and had a nice modern art touch. That aside their new website is very much like their vodka, lacking polish and refinement as well as being just another marketing tool.

Level is a product of Absolute. In fact the way I found that out was after the first sip of Level I immediately asked myself, "My god haven't I tasted this before?" I had, it tastes remarkable similar to Absolute's normal vodka. And, if you buy the 1.75 liter bottle of Absolute, it costs the same as Level's 750 ml bottle. My guess is Absolute, not having a contender for the "ultra premium" crown, quick and cheaply crafted Level.

Does Level have anything going for it? Yes, it mixes very well with citrus flavors and goes down smooth. BUT does not mix very well with sweet flavors and isn't anything special straight. In fact its fairly hard to tell the difference between it and Absolute (after being in the freezer for some time and served chilled).

Conclusion: Unless Level has changed their recipe within the last 2 years go buy something else. For the price point I recommend Belvedere or Effen (if you can find it). Level isn't bad, but it isn't "ultra premium" either. Absolute, I mean Level, gets a 5 out of 10.

No comments: